Reading time ( words)
Agile PR: Expert Messaging in a Hyper-Connected, Always-on World
by Marian Salzman, et al., Havas PR
This is one strong book, especially for those of us who are just hanging on by our fingernails to that fast-moving bullet train of social media.
With the agility of a millennial and the composure of seasoned professionals, Salzman and her team at Havas PR take the reader on an educational tour of the world of social media, how it applies to businesses today, and how to best use it for our own companies’ benefit.
Some of the more useful tools I found in this book include strategies for:
- Creating your company narrative and keeping it going by stringing it throughout various social media outlets
- Connecting with the right people who not only appreciate your products and services, but who are well connected in social media and can serve as your “apostles,” spreading your good news to their networks
- Messaging through social media in good times and especially in times of crises
- Controlling your story and your brand and amplifying it to the right marketplace
- Measuring the impact of your social media
- Setting up and executing the perfect TED talks
There is also a very informative chapter on the traditional press release as a thing of the past and a new type of press release for today’s well-connected audience.
This book is exactly what it proposes to be about: public relations in a social media world. I recommend it be kept nearby as an invaluable guide for, in the author’s words, “messaging in a hyper-connected, always on world.”