Reading time ( words)
Underwriters Laboratories and SAE International have signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) to formalize a cooperative relationship between the two standards development organizations centered on autonomous vehicles and other automotive applications.
Under the terms of the MOU, the two organizations agree to several goals for their partnership, including the following:
- Promote communication between the two organizations;
- Avoid duplication of work efforts where possible;
- Increase knowledge of each other’s standards development activities;
- Facilitate the participation of stakeholders in each other’s standards development efforts;
- Identify and undertake joint standards development initiatives
- Improve existing co-development / co-publication efforts
- Exploring opportunities for collaborative agreements with other standards development organizations
On April 1, 2020, Underwriters Laboratories published ANSI/UL 4600, the Standard for Safety for the Evaluation of Autonomous Products—which encompasses autonomous vehicles. SAE International is a recognized leader in the development of standards for the automotive field and other mobility industries. The agreement outlines how the two organizations will partner to advance the development of standards.
“As we expand our knowledge base in the area of automotive and other mobility-related fields in line with our safety-based mission, we are very fortunate to have a partner of the caliber of SAE International,” said Underwriters Laboratories Vice President Global Standards Phil Piqueira. “Their long history and established expertise in these fields is invaluable, and we are honored to be supporting their work as well.”
Added Jack Pokrzywa, SAE International’s Global Ground Vehicle Standards Director: “The automated vehicle technology inspires many activities around the world, among them standardization. The practices developed by committees in various regions must be harmonized to avoid confusion and duplication of efforts. SAE International and Underwriters Laboratories have recently agreed to work together and apply aspects of UL 4600 into the standards developed by the SAE On-Road Automated Driving committee.”