Reading time ( words)
According to new data from the International Data Corporation (IDC) Worldwide Quarterly Large Format Printer Tracker, large format printer (LFP) shipments increased by 1.3% from the second quarter of 2014 to the second quarter of 2015 (2Q15) while revenue was flat.
"The second quarter is often the slowest quarter of the calendar year for wide format printer shipments overall, but shipments are still ahead of pace in 2015 versus 2014. The market in North America was very strong in Q2, which offset declines in the EMEA region," said Phuong Hang, Program Director, Worldwide Large Format Printer Tracker.
"We're seeing the continued shift towards UV-curable inkjet, towards dye-sublimation, and towards Latex, with nice growth across all three technologies," added Tim Greene, Research Director, Hardcopy Solutions at IDC. "These technologies are where more print service providers are investing based on the new and enhanced capabilities they offer to customers."
- Display graphics printer shipments grew about 2% year over year in 2Q15 on a worldwide basis, with the fulfillment of some large deals across printer networks fueling growth. Latex and UV-curable inkjet continued to grow at the fastest rate among wide format display graphics printer technologies.
- Shipments of wide format CAD/Technical printers grew slightly year over year in 2Q15, with the growth of inkjet-based wide format printers offsetting declining sales of toner-based printers.
- HP's DesignJet technical printer, the Latex 300-series, and a new series of UV-curable printers extended its position as the top supplier of wide format digital printing systems worldwide in 2Q15.
- Canon grew its share of the wide format printer market in 2Q15 and sustained its position as the number two supplier worldwide. Canon and Canon-Oce units combined to sell over 18,200 printers in the quarter.
- Epson maintained its position as the number 3 worldwide wide format digital printer supplier despite slower sales in the EMEA region that drove overall shipments lower.
- Roland sales were essentially flat year over year in 2Q15, enabling Roland to maintain its position as the fourth-rated supplier of wide format printers worldwide.
- Mimaki remained the number five supplier of wide format printing systems worldwide by a very narrow margin over Ricoh. Ricoh and Mimaki actually are partners, with Ricoh selling Mimaki's Latex and UV-curable inkjet technology in some parts of the world.
- Shipments in the Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA) markets were particularly soft in 2Q15. This despite the FESPA event in May, which typically drives a lot of activity in the large format market. The economic situations in Greece, Russia, and the Middle East are at least part of the reason for the softness in these regions.
- Strong shipments in North America and across the Asia/Pacific region offset lower shipments in EMEA. There is a clear movement towards UV-curable inkjet in the Asia/Pacific market as UV-curable inkjet printer shipments increased by more than 30% year over year in 2Q15.
About IDC Trackers
IDC Tracker products provide accurate and timely market size, vendor share, and forecasts for hundreds of technology markets from more than 100 countries around the globe. Using proprietary tools and research processes, IDC's Trackers are updated on a semiannual, quarterly, and monthly basis. Tracker results are delivered to clients in user-friendly excel deliverables and on-line query tools. The IDC Tracker Charts app allows users to view data charts from the most recent IDC Tracker products on their iPhone and iPad. The IDC Tracker Chart app is also available for Android Phones and Android Tablets.
International Data Corporation (IDC) is the premier global provider of market intelligence, advisory services, and events for the information technology, telecommunications, and consumer technology markets. With more than 1,100 analysts worldwide, IDC offers global, regional, and local expertise on technology and industry opportunities and trends in over 110 countries. IDC's analysis and insight helps IT professionals, business executives, and the investment community to make fact-based technology decisions and to achieve their key business objectives. Founded in 1964, IDC is a subsidiary of IDG, the world's leading technology media, research, and events company.