Reading time ( words)
Semtech Corporation, a leading supplier of high performance analog and mixed-signal semiconductors and advanced algorithms, announced it has advanced its efforts on key Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) initiatives promoting corporate citizenship and sustainability, including focusing on diverse, equity and inclusive recruitment practices as well as development of its 1,300+ employees. To lead these efforts Semtech has appointed Charles B. Ammann as its new ESG officer, who will work closely with the committee of the board of directors having oversight on ESG matters. Under Mr. Ammann’s leadership, Semtech will continue to develop and act on strategic goals and key sustainability initiatives.
“We believe it is important to focus on ESG initiatives that are consistent with our long-standing Company core values. These values are the cornerstone of our goal-setting efforts that we expect will drive lasting sustainability achievements for the benefit of our stakeholders,” said Charles Ammann, Executive Vice President, Chief Legal Officer and Chief Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) Officer at Semtech. “Although there is more work to be done on our journey to improve on the Company’s sustainability activities for the long term, we have a solid foundation of ESG initiatives underway and our technology, epitomized by our flagship LoRa® IoT solutions, is literally changing the world by enabling greater resource conservation and efficiency.”
Key initiatives for 2021 include:
- Leadership: Appointment of Semtech’s first ESG officer, who will work closely with the senior leadership team and the Company’s Nominating and Governance Committee of the Board having oversight on the Company's responsibility and sustainability principles, programs and practices, marks a key milestone in Semtech’s advancement of its ESG initiatives that are designed to drive more sustainable long-term results.
- Innovation for a Better World: Expanding on Semtech’s strong track record of investing in Research and Development initiatives to create disruptive technology aimed at a smarter, more connected and sustainable planet. The Company’s integration of its LoRa® technology into customer platforms that can be used to promote sustainable farming, combat COVID-19, manage our natural resources, such as water and gas, facilitate the management of climate change, including monitoring rising sea levels and managing global pollution, illustrates the Company’s continuing efforts that promote sustainable solutions. In addition, Semtech’s quest to manage radio power using proximity sensing in mobile devices to enable a healthier environment and to minimize the size, power and failure of electronics using advanced protection devices are examples of a long term commitment to creating a smarter and more sustainable planet.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: With respect to its interest in improving diversity, 30 percent of the Company’s board of directors is comprised of women and over 40 percent of the executive leadership is comprised of individuals from various ethnic backgrounds. To continue to expand the diversity in its leadership positions, the Semtech Women’s Leadership Council was formed to elevate and empower women, advise the Company in its efforts to identify, attract and retain top female talent for key engineering, technical and leadership positions, provide a platform for the exchange of ideas and dialogue for the advancement of the interests of women, and enhance a work environment that benefits from the diversity of opinion, backgrounds and cultures.
- Employee Engagement: The Company has launched an inaugural employee engagement survey to annually solicit feedback from its employees to measure employee sentiment on various matters, including employee satisfaction, recognition and the opportunity for learning and development.
- Professional Development: In addition to the extensive online learning options currently available, the Company is planning to further expand its investment in technical and leadership development programs that will be available to its employees worldwide.